Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Provider and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey Best Practices
What is the CAHPS survey?
Each year Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) sends a CAHPS survey to gather feedback from members about their overall health care experience, including their experience with their personal doctor and health plan and experience in getting needed care and getting care quickly. The survey starts in late February and runs through May.
If your patient receives a survey, please encourage them to complete it. Improved patient experiences and outcomes lead to healthier, happier patients.
Explore our CAHPS tip sheets for sample questions and best practices to improve on
CAHPS resources to improve the patient experience
- ALERT Communication Model - The ALERT Model can help providers to recall the CAHPS questions and effectively communicate with their patients.
- Benefits of Nurse Advice Line and Interpreter Services for STAR, CHIP and STAR Kids Members
- CAHPS Checklist to Improve Survey Results - This checklist has key focus areas from the CAHPS survey as well as tips and best practices for discussing these focus areas with your patients.
- Medical Appointment Standards for Texas Medicaid
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) CAHPS
- Review the BCBSTX Preventive Care Guidelines (PCGs), Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) and THSteps for Medical Providers which includes all current vaccine schedules, ImmTrac2 and other important guidance for treating your patients.
If you have any questions regarding the CAHPS® Survey for Medicaid members, please email the Quality Department at Diane_Medders@bcbstx.com.